The Shoreline/Lake Forest Park Youth Court (SLFPYC) is a diversion program that directly involves the youth in the adjudication, disposition or resolution of traffic offenses, in a structured process that resembles traditional court proceedings. These courts are known in different locations as youth courts, teen courts, peer courts or student courts.
SLFPYC was founded in 2001 and operates under the supervision of the Shoreline District Court and the Lake Forest Park Municipal Court.
Is Youth Court Right For Me?
- Are you a high school student?
- 16 or 17 years old at the time of the infraction?
- Have you recently been charged with a traffic infraction?
- Are you looking for an opportunity to keep your driving record clean?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the Shoreline/Lake Forest Park Youth Court may be your best option. You may participate in Youth Court by completing the SLFPYC Contract and paying a $30 transfer fee. At the Youth Court hearing, you will explain the circumstances of your infraction and answer questions from your peers. The teen judge and jury will then decide on an equitable consequence. The sentence may include, but is not restricted to: community service, writing letters of apology or essays and attending traffic school. Successful completion of the six month deferral period will result in dismissal of the infraction.
You May Not Attend Youth Court if:
- You have had a traffic infraction referred to youth or teen court
- You were not 16 or 17 years of age at the time of violation, and a high school student
- You have had a conviction for a violation of any provision of RCW Title 46
- You are under the jurisdiction of any court for a violation of any provision of RCW Title 46
- Your case involved a reported accident
- You were ticketed for Negligent Driving 2nd Degree
* Speed 20 mph or more over the posted limit requires completion of online or in person Defensive Driving School Level 1 *
You may not contest the infraction, you must admit to committing the infraction to participate in Youth Court.
For more information, contact Shorecrest High School at 206-361-4286 or the Lake Forest Park Municipal Court at 206-364-7711.